Sometimes you just want a quick dinner, and sometimes you have long enough to make a Jamie Oliver 15-minute meal, including the washing up. As I’ve said before, I love Jamie Oliver and I love his 15 Minute Meals and his 30 Minute Meals. Somehow though, I always end up with far more washing up than I would do normally. Clearly he has a dishwasher, and clearly I need to get one soon.
I picked this chicken, broccoli and bulgur wheat salad as part of Dom at Belleau Kitchen’s Random Recipe Challenge. The challenge was to pick our 30th book and to then make the recipe on page 30. I couldn’t have been happier with the recipe I ended up with, named in Jamie’s 15 Minute Meals as Incredibly Delicious Chicken Salad, as it was exactly the type of thing I love to make. I probably wouldn’t have put broccoli in a salad and I definitely wouldn’t have thought to put it on the griddle after boiling it, but it did work and, despite the washing up, it was fairly quick. I did make a few changes. I didn’t have preserved lemons and couldn’t face searching for them in the supermarket with an irritable toddler and so I missed them out. I didn’t have cress and so I just missed it out. I don’t think you’d miss it. After all, have you ever heard anyone say, what this salad really needs to liven it up is a bit of cress sprinkled on the top? I also didn’t have any harissa and so used piri piri sauce. I would accept that this would have changed the flavour of the salad a bit, but it was good and went well and really, that’s the main thing. Oh, and I’d run out of red wine vinegar and so used white wine vinegar, but doesn’t everyone do that?
Ingredients – Serves 2
2 chicken breasts
1 tsp ground coriander
About 8 florets of brocoli
150g bulgur wheat
A few radishes, washed and halved
2 spring onions, finely sliced
The leaves from a couple of sprigs of mint
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
Piri piri sauce or any other hot sauce
How to Make Jamie Oliver’s Chicken, Broccoli and Bulgur Wheat Salad
1. Put a pan of water on to boil and add the brocoli when it is boiling. Using a slotted spoon, take the broccoli out of the water after 5 minutes and add the bulgur wheat.
2. Put the Broccoli on the griddle and let it char slightly on each side.
3. Put the sunflower seeds in a dry frying pan and toast them gently. Be careful they don’t burn.
4. Rub the coriander, salt and black pepper into the chicken and place it between two pieces of baking parchment. Pound the chicken to flatten it slightly. Then put it in the frying pan with a little olive oil. Turn halfway through cooking.
5. Prepare the dressing by mixing in a bowl the vinegar, oil, mint leaves and chopped spring onion.
6. Drain the bulgur wheat and rinse it in cold water. Put the broccoli and radishes on top. Drizzle the dressing over the top.
7. Slice the chicken and place on top of the salad. Scatter the sunflower seeds on top too. Add a few dollops of yoghurt and a drizzle of the hot sauce.