We might be in the second half of summer, but there’s still lots of lovely barbecue weather on the horizon. If you have a breadmaker, these homemade burger buns are really easy to make and it’s lovely to have fresh bread to put your brugers in.
I used to use my breadmaker all the time to make my everyday bread, but over the last few months, I’ve got into the habbit of just buying everyday bread but using the breadmaker more to make doughs for pizzas, flat breads, and these breadbuns. I doubt I’d be making all these things nowadays if I had to knead the dough by hand, although I have done in the past.
The recipe for these breadbuns is basically just for a simple white breadloaf and you could just make a loaf of bread using the same recipe if you wanted.
Ingredients – Makes 8 breadrolls
410g strong white flour
7g sachet of fast action dried yeast
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
250ml warm water
How to Make Burger Buns
1. Put the yeast in the breadmaker first. Then the flour. Followed by the sugar, salt, oil and water.
2. Start the breadmaker on the dough setting. Line a couple of baking trays with baking parchment.
3. Lightly oil a large bowl. When the dough is ready, tip it out into the bowl and cover it with cling film. This may not be necessary for your machine but I like to let my dough rise again. It’s just habit – I’m sure you could skip this step.
4. After half an hour, knock the dough back and knead for a minute.
5. Divide the dough in half, then each half in half again, and each quarter then in half again. This should give 8 pieces of dough. Roll each one between your hands to get a round bread roll and then place on the baking tray and flatten slightly. Cover and leave to rise again for about 30 minutes.
6. Bake the breadrolls in the oven for about 15-20 minutes at 180C.